THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S8 AND S8+ are finally official, and are exactly what you expected given the huge number of leaks and rumours building up to the launch.
We’ve rounded up everything you need to know about the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+, and will update this article as soon as we hear more. You can also check out our Galaxy S8 hands-on review.
– 5.8in / 6.2in QHD+ Super AMOLED curved display (570ppi / 529ppi)
– 149x 68x8mm, 155g / 160x73x8.1 mm, 173g
– Android 7.0 Nougat with Samsung Experience
– IP68 certification
– Fingerprint sensor (on rear) and iris scanner (on front)
– Integrated heart rate sensor
– Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chip (US), Exynos 9 (international)
– 4GB RAM (6GB in China and Korea)
– 3,000mAh / 3,500mAh battery
– 12MP main camera / 8MP front-facing camera
– Bixby AI assistant with dedicated button
– 3.5mm headphone jack
– USB-C charging
– 64GB storage with microSD (up to 256GB)
– Optional Samsung DeX HDMI dock for desktop mode
– Bluetooth 5.0, NFC
– Black Sky, Orchid Grey and Arctic Silver colour options.
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are both available to pre-order from Wednesday 29 March, with early buyers set to receive their handset on 20 April. The smartphones will be available to all from 28 April.
However, only the Midnight Black and Orchid Grey models will be up for grabs initially, with the availability of the Arctic Silver yet to be announced.
Samsung has slapped the Galaxy S8 with a £689 SIM-free price tag, making it just £10 cheaper than the iPhone 7 with 128GB storage. Unsurprisingly, the Galaxy S8+ is even more expensive at £779 SIM-free.
However, UK retailer Unlocked-Mobiles is offering both smartphones cheaper than Samsung. The Galaxy S8 can be picked up for £674.99 SIM-free, and the Galaxy S8+ for £764.99.
Carphone Warehouse, naturally, has been quick to start taking pre-orders and is offering the S8 and S8+ on tariffs with EE, iD, O2 and Vodafone. The best Galaxy S8 deal appears to be a £42 Vodafone tariff that comes with 24GB data and a £100 upfront cost, while the best S8+ offer is a £45.99 EE contract that comes with 5GB data and a £149.99 upfront cost.
EE is also taking pre-orders on its own website and is recommending its £55.99 tariff that bags you a Galaxy S8 for £29.99 with 5GB monthly data. For the bigger Galaxy S8+, it’s pointing to its £60.99 tariff, which comes with the same £29.99 upfront cost and 10GB bundled data.